Monday, April 2, 2012

Drop your nets...


"As He was going along by the Sea of Galilee, He saw Simon and Andrew, the brother of Simon, casting a net in the sea; for they were fishermen. And Jesus said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you become fishers of men. Immediately they left their nets and followed Him. Going on a little farther, He saw James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, who were also in the boat mending the nets. Immediately He called them; and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired servants, and went away to follow Him." Mark 1:16-20 NASB


When we got back from training in Waxhaw, our first question was, "How long do I stay at Milliken?" I guess in all honesty I envisioned working for as long as I could in order to save more for going -and maybe to also delay the day where I really go "all in" -- 100%. No looking back. There was still the safety net of a "guaranteed" paycheck as we readied to go. But I had a divided heart. Trying to go to work and do the same old routine when we were prepared to go was a struggle. Kellee said I should just “drop my nets.”

She was quick (real quick by the way) to point me to the disciples’ callings. Their day started out the way it always had. They were doing life as usual, and then Jesus entered and nothing was the same. They walked away from all they had ever known when they encountered Jesus. Mark’s Gospel even adds the detail that James and John left their dad in the boat with the hired help. In the boat. They just left. No spreadsheets. No checking if all the details were covered. No trip home to stock up. I can imagine the hurt and misunderstanding their father must have felt as well. Not just emotionally, but financially as they left the fishing business too. Sometimes following is messy and hard. Sometimes it doesn't make sense by all of our human reasoning and judgment.


But there comes a time when Jesus calls, and some leave all.


And those same disciples who left all got to see Him calm the storm, walk on water, give sight to the blind, and rise from the dead.

They left all and found the ultimate source of everything - Jesus.

So I dropped my nets on March 16th. It was neat to see the people God brought to my path in the final weeks of working at Milliken. People I had worked with over the years who “just happened” to be passing by in the halls. He is good and knew I wanted to see them one last time.

We are “all in” now. I am still trying to figure out my new schedule- what a day is supposed to look like. It would help if we were not moving around all the time.  :-)  We have moved our stuff out of the house while we wait for it to sell so we can focus on the remaining tasks before going. We are pressing on toward a July departure date.

You might be asking if we are going to be okay without the safety net of those “guaranteed” paychecks (okay, I might be asking). He has gently reminded me that all those in the past were a gift from Him and all the future ones will be His grace as well. Nothing happens that hasn't poured through His hands first. He can be trusted to provide because He “works all things together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.”

2 comments:

  1. That was a powerful post! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this as we faced the same feelings when Jason left. Praying you continue to have the peace from Him as you go all in! SO excited for your family and this journey you're on.

    ReplyDelete